It’s not a myth that a healthy brain is the foremost requirement of a healthy body. The food that we take directly affects our brain function. Similarly, cognitive function, clarity, concentration and acuity can be stimulated and acquired by eating the right kind of food. A diet high in saturated fats can cause damage to neurons and intercept acquisition skills.
We have compiled a list of some of the best brain foods that can help improve brain’s functionality.
- Carbohydrates are needed for optimal brain function. Whole grain carbs have slow sugar release thus; they trigger the brain function without giving a sugar rush. Whole meal, bran and multi grain breads, pastas and wheat germ are ideal for brain health.
- Alpha Linolenic Acids found in pecans, almonds and walnuts, lessen inflammation, increase blood flow to brain which in turn causes more oxygen to flow in brain hence, reducing the risks of ischemia and even dementia.
- Monounsaturated fats found in olive oil and avocados improve vascular health and reduce the risks of a stroke.
- Proteins, omega 3, EPA and DHA are the ultimate brain function boosters. They are found in fish like cod, herring, salmon, mackerel and sardines. These improve focus and reduce chances of dementia.
- Seeds like flax, linseed, pumpkin seeds, soya beans are rich sources of DHA. It is proved that low DHA level lead to Alzheimer’s, dementia and memory loss.
- Tomatoes have an antioxidant called lycopene that acts as a shield to reduce brain cell damage which is the characteristic of dementia, Alzheimer and other brain degenerative diseases.
- Vitamin C is proved to gain mental agility. The great sources of vitamin c are kiwi, black currants, blueberries and strawberries. They are rich in antioxidants and even have anti inflammatory effect.
- Zinc is not only required for agile body but also for an acute mind. It is found in pumpkin and squash seeds, cashew nuts, red meat and oysters. It sharpens your mental skills and reduces brain cell degeneration.
- Vitamin b6, b12 and folic acid all are needed for long term memory sustenance and reduce the risk of stroke. A group of Alzheimer patients were administered high doses of B12 and folic acid for two years. They showed less brain shrinkage as compared to the ones without B12 and folic acid.
- Vitamin k highly improves cognitive function and brain acuity. The main sources of vitamin K are scallions, broccoli, sage, Brussels sprouts, red chillies and cayenne pepper.
- Caffeine found in coffee is a stimulant known to increase mind acuity but it also helps fight the symptoms of depression.
- Leafy green cruciferous vegetables like spinach and sage are rich in folate and they reduce the speed of cognitive decline.
- Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and has caffeine as well. This combination increases mental acuity, reduces blood pressure and increases blood flow towards the brain. All of this leads to optimal brain function.
- Garlic is known for its antiseptic qualities but it also lowers the blood pressure and increases the oxygen flow to brain. Studies have proved that organo-sulfur found in garlic kills a certain type of malignant brain cells.
- Green tea is rich in antioxidants and if used with vitamin c; in form of lemon it’s a great mental stimulant.
- Lastly but not the least water. It’s proved through various studies that when a person is dehydrated the brain tissues tend to shrink which in turn lower the cognitive function.