An exceptionally sweet tropical fruit with a grainy inner flesh, chiku adds a special sweetness to milkshakes and smoothies.
However, its sweetness can also be explored through a simple, yet mouth watering ‘chiku barfi’. And, since this fruit is almost out of season…. here’s a good way to preserve its flavor!
Here’s what you are going to need:
- 8 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup Khoya
- 4 cups Chiku pulp
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Chopped Almonds (optional)
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Greased cookie tray
This is how you go about it:
- Peel the chiku and put the deseeded chiku pulp in a blender. Blend for one minute to make a smooth paste
- Pour the chiku paste into a pan and cook on medium heat.
- Add sugar and khoya and cook, stirring regularly until dry.
- Add ghee and stir until the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cookie tray.
- Smoothen and flatten the mixture with a spatula.
- Garnish it with almonds and allow to cool before you keep it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Once cooled, use a kife to cut diagonally across the tray so as to cut out diamond shaped chiku barfi!
- Enjoy them with some good company, young and old alike!
(Image Courtesy of BigStockPhoto)
There are no comments yet, but you can be first to comment this article.